Saturday 7 July 2007

Guilty Conscience

One day in uni I saw a girl trying to promote some cause or club activity. She was approaching a guy walking by. The guy acted as if he was caught shoplifting, as he hastily made up an excuse, saying he was late for class, and promptly sped towards the student union building, which never held any classes. Now I am not trying to stereotype, but does that guy have to be an Asian, probably a Chinese?

I thought it was strange that the guy looked like he was guilty of something, when he was the one getting approached. Why was it necessary to lie to the girl? If he did not want to be disturbed, then just say so. Soon I had it figured out: he felt guilty because he turned the girl down. He made up an excuse so he could blame his "crime" on it. You see, the lie wasn't for the girl, it was for himself. "I wanted to stick around and listen, but I have classes so it's okay to kill the conversation" is probably what he was thinking.

It might seem I have over-analysed the situation, but I'm quite confident this is the guy's mindset. Why? Although I am no psychologist, I am a Chinese.

No comments: