Wednesday 31 January 2007

A Matter of Reputation

So Windows Vista had finally launched. There are news that indicates consumers are more interested about discounted gadgets (to promote Windows Vista) than the operating system itself. But that's okay, I am not writing tonight to bash Microsoft...well not directly. This evening I saw on TV this Apple ad making fun of Vista; I laughed my head off. While I searched for this ad online I also came across what appears to be a Vista ad. I'm not sure if this one aired on TV due to its length; in Melbourne we have a much shorter and to-the-point version. Comparing the two commercials is like pitching an iPod against a Zune. The Apple ad is short and humorous, and it sends a simple but strong message to the audience. This is just like the iPod -- its interface is clean and simple yet leaves a lasting impression. In contrast, the Vista ad tries to inform you of all its features while confusing you with the spinning people. It bores the life out of the viewer, who ends up not remembering, or caring about, any features. It is not unlike the Zune, which is overall a good media player that does everything it promise and does them well, but I would struggle to find a feature in the exceptional category.

It is therefore no surprise that nowadays nearly every new Apple product creates a hype, while the Microsoft equivalent turns considerably fewer heads and only out of necessity. Steve Jobs understands that marketing to the average consumer is more about the image than the product itself. It's not about making the best and coolest products but convincing the consumers your products are the best and coolest, although it certainly helps if you actually produce the best and coolest gadgets. To the modern teenager, appearance matters more than extra functions, and commercials are no different. An operating system should be marketed as delivering a unique experience or even lifestyle rather than the winner of a features race. Apple clearly gets this but I'm not sure about MS.

I also want to state that I'm not a fan of either company. I don't intent to upgrade to Vista until I absolutely have to (then again there is always Linux), and I have no plans to buy an iPod or Zune -- I just found my small-time-Korean-company-brand mp3 player with a whooping 128MB of flash storage. When in doubt, look under the bed.

No comments: